Everyone wants to be Blissful and Happy. This desire lies at the very core of our inner being because our true nature is ever-blissful. Conditions and situations in this material/physical world give rise to negative feelings in us, like anger, fear, anxiety, stress, hatred etc. These negative feelings make us forget our true blissful nature. Chanting and the meditation of ‘Om’ (Aum) is a proven way to reach and stay in that ever-blissful nature. Read on to know more about this mysterious cosmic energy that is Om.
A bliss that is unconditional, a bliss that is pure, a bliss for no reason at all, a bliss that is infinite… comes from chanting of Om.
What is Om (Aum)?
Know that Om chanting is NOT a Religious practice. It is a universal syllable. It is a cosmic sound which initiated the creation of the universe. It is SCIENCE. Modern science is just scratching the surface of this Ancient Vedic Science.
Om is a sacred sound of the divine. It is a mysterious expression of the infinity, timelessness, eternity and wisdom. Om (vibrations of the om) is our true nature, our higher self, the core of our inner being. This holy monosyllable is the first sound of the creation. It is the nectar of immortality, the light of all lights and the life of all lives. It is an eternal melody of love, peace and harmony. Om means fearlessness, Om means protection, Om means acceptance, Om means happiness. I can go on and on but cannot explain this mysterious Om completely.
What happens when we chant Om (Aum):
You might have heard of quantum physics, it’s a science which explains what really happens at the ‘micro’ level of everything. For example, if we took a layer of our skin and placed it under a microscope, we could see the cells of our skin. You might know that our cells are made up of atoms and molecules. As we examine those atoms even further, at the end they are all just energy! – with a unique vibrational frequency.
Similarly, everything else around us is energy at the micro level. Even the furniture in our home, roads, sidewalks, rivers, trees etc. all are pulsating and vibrating at different speeds, but we can’t see those vibrations with our naked eyes.
As we all are vibrations on a micro level, so when we chant Om, again and again, we create its pure vibrations in our body. We become in tune with the vibrations of the Om and we become one with the Om. Om chanting connects us to all that is living, from beings to nature, to the Universe.
Om (Aum) Represents All Creation:
Om is also uttered as ‘A-U-M’.
In most languages, we have some sounds that come from the throat, others that come from the palate, and others from the lips. There is no single sound in any language that comes from all three parts of the vocal cord.
- The sound of ‘A’ is guttural, it comes from the back of our throat .
- ‘U’ proceeds exactly from the middle of the vocal region, the palate.
- ‘M’ is labial and nasal, which comes from the extremity of the vocal organ or lips.
Thus, ‘A’ represents the beginning of the range of sound, ‘U’ represents the middle, and ‘M’ represents the end. It covers the whole field of the vocal organs.
Symbolically, the three letters embody the divine energy ‘Shakti’ and it’s 3 main characteristics, that is Creation, Preservation, and Liberation.
Thus, Om represents all languages and the universal energy.
Frequency and vibration hold a critically important, yet the hidden power to affect our lives, health, society and our world. The science of Cymatics (meaning the study of visible sound and vibration) proves that frequency and vibration are the master keys and organizational foundation for the creation of all matter and life on this planet. You could Google science of cymatics to get more information about it.
Following are some of the Important Benefits of Chanting Om (AUM):
- When you start chanting Om it creates positive vibrations in you. You feel happy for no reason 🙂
- It purifies your Aura. To know more about what is human body Aura and how it affects your health, read my previous blog here: ‘Aura – Energy Field That Affects Your Emotions, Can Help Detect Diseases’
- Om chanting purifies the environment around you.
- Om chanting not only benefits the person who is chanting, it but also to the people around them, wherever its vibrations flow.
- As you practice Om chanting and meditation with Om, people will notice changes in you as you may be looking younger, happier, energetic and also calm and peaceful.
- A long-lasting sense of well-being and balance will manifest into your life.
- You will start to appreciate every little thing in your life which will turn you into a magnet to attract good things into your life to be thankful for.
- It improves your concentration and helps you focus on whatever your goals may be.
- The chanting improves your voice by giving strength to your vocal cords and the muscles around it. This is very helpful during old age.
- The vibrations of Om open up the sinuses to clear the airways.
- It has a calming effect on our nervous system.
- Meditation with Om chanting relaxes our mind and body, our blood pressure decreases and the heart beats with a regular rhyme which is good for our heart health.
- Om chanting gives us better control over our emotions, which is very important to face the situation with the clear and rational mind.
- When the OM Mantra is chanted in a group, the effects are amplified, and this will produce immense positive vibrations which charge up the entire vicinity.
- The sound uuu… (U) is created by the vocal cords which benefit the thyroid glands and the throat.
- Om can even help cleanse your skin. The massive levels of internal positive energy and a cleansed aura that come from chanting the Om Mantra regularly will be reflected externally with a healthy glow on your face and body.
- Regular chanting of this Mantra will take you on a spiritual journey to greater happiness and positivity, but only if it is done daily for a longer period of time. Make Om chanting part of your daily routine to see the visible changes in your life.
Different Ways to Start Om Chanting as a Beginner
As a beginner, you can start with just listening to om chanting audios. Listening to Om chanting will also have a positive impact on your mind.
You can also play Om chanting audios in the background and do your regular work.
Playing Om chanting music in the background on speakers will also raise vibrations of your surroundings.
You can also chant along with om chanting audios available on Amazon.
Also, check out these calming om chanting meditations which will help you to calm your mind. Make sure to use good quality of headphones when listening to Om Chanting audios which include sound frequencies to change our brain waves.
You can also use mantra chanting mala with 108 beads in it to count the number of times you chant Om. 108 is considered to be an auspicious number in Hinduism and also used in spiritual practices like Kriya Yoga.
If you chant Om or are planning to start chanting Om, share your experiences with us in the comments section. Your experience might inspire others to start chanting Om and get benefit from it.