For thousands of years, people of India and many other Asian countries have known the benefits of drinking water from Copper Vessels. Ancient Ayurvedic scriptures have stated many health benefits of storing water in copper vessels. Now, the current medical studies are also supporting this ancient ayurvedic practice.
Copper has many antimicrobial properties. Recently, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency registered copper as the only solid surface material to kill bacteria that may pose a threat to human health. Hospital acquired infections (HAI) are becoming a major health crisis throughout the world. In the United States, 4.5% of hospitalized patients develop hospital-acquired infections (HAIs), resulting in an estimated 100,000 deaths
Many hospitals are taking steps to reduce such infections by equipping their patient rooms and operating rooms with copper alloy surfaces, replacing bed rails, tables and door knobs. Such alterations have helped reduced the number of healthcare-acquired infections (HAIs) in patients by more than half (Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, May 2013).
What exactly happens when you store water in a copper vessel?
When water is stored in a copper vessel overnight or for over eight hours, a small amount of copper ions gets dissolved into the water. This process is called Oligodynamic effect which has the ability to destroy wide range of harmful microbes, molds, fungi etc.
What does Ayurveda say?
Ayurveda states that when you drink water stored in a copper vessel, it has the ability to balance all the three doshas in our body Vata, Pitta and Kapha and also has many health benefits (to know more about the 3 doshas and how they affect your personality and body, read my older post on this topic, click here ). This happens because copper vessel positively charges the water. The therapeutic water from a copper vessel is called Tamra jal in sanskrit. The traces of copper in a Tamra jal are safe and in fact, healthy.
The right way to drink water from the copper vessel:
1. It is important to buy vessels that are made of pure copper. Do not buy ones that have other metals mixed in it. Some of the common vessels made with copper are copper water jugs or a kalash. Now a days copper water bottles are also available. Just make sure its of a good quality.
2. Once you have bought it, rinse it out thoroughly with water. Then fill it with water and cover it. Let the water rest for 6 hours (minimum) to 8 hours (maximum) and then drink it.
3. You can follow this ancient Ayurvedic practice:
Keep water in a copper vessel overnight by your bedside and drink this water first thing in the morning when you wake up. This particular practice is very useful in stimulating your bowel movements in the morning. This practice will keep your digestive system very healthy and set your metabolism for rest of the day. You will feel very refreshed and light everyday.
Benefits of drinking water stored in a copper vessel:
1. Prevents water-born diseases
2. Helps the digestive system to perform well
3. Aids in weight loss
4. Slows down aging
5. Good for heart health
6. Maintains hemoglobin level
7. Regulates the working of the thyroid glands
8. Stimulates the brain
9. Its anti-inflammatory
10. Fights free radicals
How much is too much?
– Drinking water from copper vessel has numerous health benefits but this does not mean that you can drink this water all day long.
– Drinking water stored in the copper vessel once in the early morning and then in the evening is more than enough to get required amount of copper for our body.
– Remember you should not drink this copper vessel water all year long. Once you start drinking water stored in a copper vessel you can continue this practice for three months and then take a break for one month (stop drinking water stored in the copper vessel). After a one month break you can continue drinking water again from a copper vessel for next three months. This gives our body time to remove any excess copper deposited in our body. Body has its own mechanism of eliminating excess of anything.
Ayurvedic rules are very precise and if we follow them accordingly we will never get any side effects.